Saturday, May 31, 2008

Perspective on Transition

Some of my friends have some major changes and transitions going on in their lives. I suppose I do, too, coming from grad school and working to get my very first salaried position. It just doesn't seem to compare to the transitions I'm seeing around me. My boyfriend just moved his baby brother (his best friend) to his first out of state long-term home. While he was there, he found out one of his favorite coworkers may be losing his job. Today, while shopping for a bridal shower gift for one friend, and shoes for her wedding, I got a call from another stating that the last living grandparent for her and her husband's families had died under very tragic circumstances. Another family friend suddenly lost her grandmother, 2 weeks before the birth of her first child. Weddings, funerals, bridal and baby showers, graduations, unemployment, relocations...weight loss in and of itself seems so superficial compared to these things. For a long time, I've put taking care of myself on the backburner to other priorities: spending time with friends, completing grad school, seeing family, lazing around feeling lonely (yes, there have been many times when feeling lonely seemed to be a priority). The thing is, taking care of myself does not have to mean I'm neglecting these other facets of my life...I just haven't yet learned how to do both. Some family members encouraged me to not do the diet now, because I am in transition. I don't know what to think about that. Isn't life just one big transition? If I wait to do something until I'm out of transition, will I ever do it? Probably not. Sometimes, the timing doesn't seem right, the method isn't right, nothing really seems right. Sometimes transitions are thrust upon us, sometimes it's a choice we make, and people can be hurt along the way. I wish life didn't have so much pain mixed in with the beauty. I wish we didn't have to be so busy, so we could focus on our relationships, on being healthy, and on making other people happy. I wish I had a wise way to tie this post together.
S, your support in my attempts to get healthier have been invaluable to me. I only hope I can be as supportive to you during this difficult time. I feel like I can't do enough to show as much support to you as you have for me.

No comments: