Friday, May 2, 2008

First Appointment- Medical Exam

I had my first appointment last night. Unbeknownst to me, this meant I was to be starting today! Eep!
Here's how it went:
I went in and paid big money for the blood work and EKG and the initial history and physical.
Next, I went and got said physical. The doctor asked about my current medications and conditions and went over my blood work. All the blood work was normal except for cholesterol and triglycerides. My cholesterol was 263, triglycerides 236. Considering my diet for the past year and a half, I am one lucky girl. I was certain that this would be the time when my love of carbs finally caught up to me and hit me with the diabetes stick.
Next, he went over any physical complaints. I told him about my migraines, and he didn't consider this to rule me out of the program, especially because my meds work (YAY Maxalt! I love you!). I think the Dr. is used to seeing middle aged patients because he initially assumed my glasses were for reading. He asked numerous times about back and knee pain. Fortunately, I haven't had those except for some back pain when I wash dishes. Of course, as I write this, my back feels a little achy. Stupid power of suggestion. He listened to my breathing, checked my eyes, nose, throat, ears, all that good stuff. I really wish I had used a Q-tip yesterday.
Then he asked me about my goal weight. Talk about a weighty question. I told him I could live with 175 (I'm 5'3), but would really like to be more like 145 eventually. He said since I have few health concerns, I could choose 130, 150, or 170 (he wouldn't let me consider above 170). So I picked 170. I hope to go well below this. 130 would be a dream, but 170 would put me at my lowest weight since 2003, which sounds fabulous.

End of story: I got medical clearance to start the program.

No comments: