Monday, May 5, 2008

Message Board- What We Large Ladies Have in Common

I have to admit, I'm a message board junkie. I love finding a place where people congregate with the same problem to create a supportive environment. Heck, I'd like a self-help group here, but I'm already online, and then there's no scheduling problem.

It's so good to see that there are so many women on the board who are like me in how they felt about their eating. Really, the mentality doesn't seem to be much different between the woman my size, 50 lbs lighter, and 200 lbs heavier.
We:
- Care a lot about other people
- Have close relationships with friends and families
- Worry. About everything.
- Don't feel like we have time to think about food
- Think eating favorite foods will make us feel better
- Realise it does feel better for a second
- Associate food with guilt
- Have tried to lose weight, many times, and many ways
- Know a lot about weight loss and how the body works
- Want to be more active
- Get lower than low when our bodies are criticized as we are trying to work out, making it much harder to try again
- Have been called fat by strangers
- Find it very hard to see beauty in ourselves

There are many more qualities we share, most of us who have come to the point of trying a liquid diet. I think we all realised at some point we needed to be put in "food prison" where the choices are very limited. Then we can think about our actions (our crimes against our bodies, as it were), and work to discover how to change a total approach to food, and eating. There's a lot of criticism for making that choice, but believe me, it is not something to be done impulsively. In my mind, it is second to surgery, saying: this is out of hand, I am out of control, and this needs to stop. It's so easy from the outside to say, well, just don't buy it, don't eat it. If only it were that simple. It's not. Ask the ladies of the liquid diet message board.

No comments: